Alabama Football Headlines (Today)
- Alabama Football Headlines (Today)
Spring football's 10 burning questions
- As spring football
practice opens around the country, many of the sport's best teams will start to sort out quarterback questions. Six of the teams that finished in the top 10 of the final Associated Press top 25 poll in 2014 -- Oregon , Alabama
, Florida State , Baylor , Georgia and UCLA -- will have new quarterbacks this coming season.
Dothan Student Honors Program
- It's been said that for every criticism a child hears, they need to hear seven positive words or thoughts in order to overcome it. Saturday at Dothan High School it was all about praising students for their hard work.
Alabama Recruiting 2015: Offensive Line
- Last Thursday, we saw what happens to the internet without sports to keep everyone busy. Between the escaped llamas and the multi-colored dress, the country pretty much lost its mind in a single day.
Commentary: Marshall, Sims must switch to play in NFL
- Blake Sims and Nick Marshall combined to throw for 768 yards and seven touchdowns in the Iron Bowl and neither will likely throw an NFL pass unless Commentary: Marshall, Sims must switch to play in NFL Blake Sims and Nick Marshall combined to throw for 768 yards and seven touchdowns in the Iron Bowl and neither will likely throw an NFL pass unless Check out this story on montgomeryadvertiser.com: http://on.mgmadv.com/1AeJUkq ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. says Blake Sims might want to look at playing a different position to play in the NFL. Blake Sims and Nick Marshall combined to throw for 768 yards and seven touchdowns in last year's Iron Bowl and neither will likely throw an NFL pass unless it's on a trick play.
2015 NFL Draft Profile: OG Arie Kouandjio, Alabama
- Dec 6, 2014; Atlanta, GA, USA; Alabama
Crimson Tide quarterback Blake Sims looks to pass against Missouri as Crimson Tide offensive lineman Arie Kouandjio blocks at left in the first quarter of the 2014 SEC Championship at the Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports One of the main concerns for the New York Giants in this offseason is their offensive line.
Alabama Football: The State of the Secondary Pre-Spring Practice
- While most eyes will be on Alabama
's quarterback position, there arguably won't be a more important position battle in terms of 2015 success than in the secondary, where the Crimson Tide have a lot of questions to answer after a disastrous season on the back end of the defense. Alabama
gave up more passing yards in 2014 more than any other year in the Nick Saban era.
Alabama freshman quarterback Blake Barnett reminds ex-Tide linebacker of former SEC star
- Quarterback Blake Barnett speaks with the media following Alabama
Coach Nick Saban's discussion of National Signing Day and the Tide's 2015 signing class, Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2015, at the Mal Moore Athletic Facility in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Vasha Huntemail@example.com ORG XMIT: ALBIN401 Johnson was on Alabama
's practice field watching some older players work out during a visit to campus in January when he saw Barnett, the Tide's five-star freshman quarterback, off to the side throwing passes to one of Alabama
's young wide receivers.
Alabama prospects overrated? Tide may be turning
- Are Alabama
draft prospects overrated? Tide may be turning The theory has been floated, but recent evidence suggest the tide has turned in a different direction. Check out this story on USATODAY.com: http://usat.ly/1Bvy5xt Packers RB Eddie Lacy was the offensive rookie of the year in 2013, while Cowboys LB Rolando McClain had a breakthrough season in 2014.
Ohio State football Sugar Bowl highlight video
- Jan 1, 2015; New Orleans, LA, USA; Ohio State Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer celebrates after the game with running back Ezekiel Elliott and linebacker Darron Lee against the Alabama
Crimson Tide in the 2015 Sugar Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The Buckeyes beat the Crimson Tide 42-35.
SEC pre-spring position rankings: RB
- One thing the SEC will never be short on is talented running backs. This league is consistently very deep at the position, and 2015 is no exception.
Jumbo Package: Tuesday 24 February 2015
- Sporting News Here are the unofficial recorded 40 times for QB prospects at the Combine, in order from quickest to slowest. I commented during the season that Blake looked about as fast as any QB in college football
, including Marshall and Mariota.
NFL draft diary: Combine snub Deshazor Everett asserts his value
- While many of the country's top defensive backs went through drills for coaches and scouts at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Deshazor Everett was at Bommarito Performance in Miami training for his upcoming pro day. You might remember Everett, who provided one of the more memorable plays of the 2012 college football
NFL prospects attempt to move past forgettable moments
- First, he fessed up to making the mistake of celebrating before scoring against Oregon. Then he poked fun at himself by tweeting out a Valentine's Day photo of the ball being dropped at the 1-yard line with the words "Don't let go of our love."
Series Preview: #20 Alabama Crimson Tide at #3 Houston Cougars
- Coach Mitch Gaspard leads his Tide team agains his alma mater this weekend in a road series at Houston - Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports This weekend the 20th-ranked Alabama
baseball team travels to play a three-game set against Coach Mitch Gaspard's alma mater, the #3 Houston Cougars. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 pm CST on Friday and Saturday, followed by the finale at noon on Sunday.
Yeldon looks to show versatility
running back T.J. Yeldon answers questions during a news conference at the NFL football
scouting combine in Indianapolis.
Saban, 'Bama golf coach bond through love of links, titles
- Golf is Jay Seawell's business and just happens to be one of Nick Saban's offseason pleasures. So it's no surprise that the two Alabama
coaches - Saban, the gridiron leader and Seawell, the Crimson Tide's men's golf coach - have built a strong and mutually beneficial friendship. Seawell has given Saban tips on his golf swing - and shared one timely anecdote last season.
Another spring, another question about Alabama's starting quarterback
- Few teams have the luxury of simply reloading during the spring in the transition from one year to the next like Alabama
. Years of top-notch recruiting have allowed Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide to focus on restacking the deck rather than rebuilding on a regular basis.
Mayock: If healthy, Yeldon should run 40 at NFL combine
- T.J. Yeldon has had a month and half to recover from hamstring and ankle injuries that hindered him during the 2014 season. If the former Alabama
Mayock: If healthy, Yeldon should run 40 at NFL combine T.J. Yeldon has had a month and half to recover from hamstring and ankle injuries that hindered him during the 2014 season.
Ultimate ESPN 300: 15 things to know
- The Ultimate ESPN 300 is RecruitingNation's ranking of the best prospects since we began evaluating high school athletes in 2006. That means there are many names on the list known to college football
and recruiting fans since coming out of high school.
Scout: Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon overrated
head coach Nick Saban suggested in December that the rankings of high school football
recruits are more favorable when they are pursued by elite programs such as the Crimson Tide. But are NFL draft prospects from Alabama
given a similar bump up the value board? "He's a little overrated, because he's coming from Alabama
, but he's not bad," the scout told nj.com .
Top 10 for #2 Pick: Alabama S Landon Collins
- WATCH LIVE as GM Ruston Webster and Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt address the media at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Time: 11:45 a.m. CT TitansOnline.com beat writer Joe Fann teams up with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller for a series previewing top draft prospects the Titans could select with the #2 overall pick.
Jumbo Package: Friday, 13 February 2015
- Later today, we will have another Roll 'Bama Roll ticket giveaway for tonight's Power of Pink gymnastic event. Here's how the contest works: We will post a question, you tweet/email/facebook the correct answer.
Change in illegal man downfield rule could boost defenses
- No, not the Kick-Six that Auburn used to beat the Crimson Tide on the last play of the 2013 Iron Bowl. Auburn tied the score late in the fourth quarter when Nick Marshall flipped a pass to Sammie Coates over a defense that was drawn in by a run blocking offensive line. The NCAA rules committee has proposed changing the illegal man downfield penalty - Rule 7, Article 10 in the NCAA book - shortening the distance linemen can move downfield before the ball is thrown to 1 yard, which matches the NFL rule. ''It's the continuation of a trend where defensive people try to change the rules rather than try to stop the advances in offense,'' said new Montana coach Bob Stitt, who used spread schemes at Division II Colorado School of Mines that were considered among the most creative in college football
Bama Signees with Best Chance of Playing
- With 2015 national signing day in the books, the question for Alabama
fans now becomes: So who's going to play? First, you have to have the skill and talent obviously. But the roster needs to shake out such that there is an opening for you to squeeze into and contribute.
2015 NFL Draft: 1st Round Pass Rushers Aren't a Sure Thing
- Dec 6, 2014; Atlanta, GA, USA; Missouri Tigers defensive lineman Shane Ray tackles Alabama
Crimson Tide quarterback Blake Sims during the second quarter of the 2014 SEC Championship Game at the Georgia Dome. The play caused Ray to be ejected from the game for targeting.
Sources: Packers hire Sooners' Montgomery
- Oklahoma defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery, one of the Sooners' top assistants, is headed to the NFL, the school announced Tuesday. "This is a rare opportunity for Jerry and his family to join one of the finest organizations in the National Football
League," coach Bob Stoops said in a statement.
Pace of play not expected to be college football rules issue
- The NCAA coordinator of college football
officials says he does not expect pace of play to be a major topic when the rules committee meets this week. Rogers Redding said Monday the use of technology on the sideline will be a focus during committee meetings Tuesday and Wednesday. Redding said the conversation about pace of play has been ''muted.'' ''There hasn't been an awful lot of concern about that this year,'' Redding said. ''We'll probably talk about it in the meeting, but I don't anticipate any changes in the rules as a result of that.'' The NCAA football
rules committee does not usual stir up much controversy, but last year it made headlines and talk-radio fodder for weeks with its proposal aimed at slowing down the game and limiting the number of plays for safety reasons.
Draft names to watch: QB Blake Sims
- Each week on WGR550.com, a position will be featured with a handful of names to ponder as that week progresses. By the time the 2015 NFL Draft comes around in May, followers of the series will have an enhanced look at some of the players the Buffalo Bills may be interested in.
Florida hires Texas DL coach Chris Rumph for same position (Dr. Saturday)
- To replace departing defensive line coach Terrell Williams, who accepted a position with the Miami Dolphins, Florida head coach Jim McElwain announced the hire of Chris Rumph on Friday. Rumph spent the 2014 season as the assistant head coach for defense and defensive line coach at the University of Texas. Rumph's departure from Texas comes just two days after National Signing Day. One Texas signee, Rivals three-star defensive tackle Du'Vonta Lampkin , wasn't happy to see his position coach leave. Lampkin tweeted on signing day that head coach Charlie Strong told him on the phone that Rumph "did not accept" the offer from Florida. Something clearly changed over the last few days.
Alabama freshman QB has spring to try to enter mix for job
- Nick Saban says he wouldn't hesitate to start a freshman quarterback if he's Alabama
's best option, same as any other position. Highly touted signee Blake Barnett has seven months to try to make his case as either the starter or the backup, beginning with spring practice. Just like Julio Jones was the best player when he was a wide receiver as a freshman and we played him. Amari Cooper was.